Monday, April 30, 2012

Merry Month of May

The month of May is my favorite month in a year.  It is a special for me as there are several occasions that are close my heart that make me happy and celebrate.


May 1 is Labor Day, a holiday, happy because of no work!

Flores de Mayo (Flowers of May) a month long celebration for Catholics in honor of Mama Mary.   I grew up attending the afternoon praying of the rosary and offering of flowers to the Virgin Mary.  I used do it every day for the whole month on May with my siblings and playmates.  We would make a wish to Mama Mary and tried complete the attendance.  Then on the last day, a Santacruzan is organized.  I don’t like much to participate is Santacruzan as the sagala but I like to see the sagalas in their beautiful gowns.

May is my birthday month.  Though birthday means getting older, there are lots of reasons to celebrate.  I’m so thankful for another year given to me and for the so many blessings I received.  I am so blessed with good health, nice work, beautiful family and a happy life.

May 13 is the Feast Day of Our Lady of Fatima, the image of Mama Mary that I usually pray to since I was a child.  It was on this day where the Our Lady of Fatima first appeared to three children (Francisco, Jacinta and Lucia) and was asked to pray the rosary for world peace.

May 15 is the Feast Day of San Isidro Labrador, the patron saint of the farmers.  It is also Pahiyas Festival in Lucban, Quezon where farmers thank San Isidro for bountiful harvest.  Every year, there is a contest for the most beautiful house decorated with fruits, vegetables, kipings and others.  Kiping is leaf shaped decoration in different colors and made of rice.  It can be fried and eaten.

May 30 is the Feast of St. Ferdinand and Lucena City Town Fiesta and a very festive occasion.  Days before the actual fiesta, there are several activities in the city town proper like Mardi Gras and Pasayahan sa Lucena, street concerts, lots of food and others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates